Pages

March 10, 2008

Health Update

My brother-in-law R. had a very successful surgery on Friday. The surgeons were able to completely remove the tumor in his left shoulder. They did have to take some of his hip bone to reconstruct the shoulder.

R. is doing very well. I went over Saturday evening and he was up walking around! I was shocked because frankly i'd think his hip would hurt. He was quiet drugged up on pain meds and we were sitting around the kitchen bar talking and you could so tell from his half drooping eye lids. It was a little humorous. R. still has a great attitude about the recovery. The tumor was diagnosed as a rare cancer even with it being benign. The doctors will continue monitoring him for the next 3 years. The first year being the most strenuous with chest x-rays every 2-3 months after his 2 week post-op check up. They'll be taking check x-rays because the type of cancer they found is known to appear in the lungs as well.

My mother-in-law J. looked so tired but in a way relieved. Of course she's going through the "i should have done more" battle with her self. I told her she did the best she knew how. J. took R. to the Dr. for six months trying to figure it out when the MRI was finally assigned. Turns out that R's. Dr. was shocked when they found the tumor. J. is also comparing the odd timing of R. getting diagnosed with a cancer tumor the same time her father was diagnosed with cancer. I do agree that it seems odd that it would both happen at the same time but I don't think it really means anything.

J.'s father Ernie has been moved from the hospital to J.'s brothers house. I am amazed at how much change everyone is going through. I am feeling especially sympathetic for Ernie's wife. I can't imagine after 50+ years of sleeping in the same bed suddenly not being able to. From having a husband who took care of her to reversing the roles. A lot can change in a month. Wednesday is Ernie's birthday so we're going over to help celebrate. I plan to take lots of pictures.

Thank you to those of you who have been praying for us.

0 What do you think?: